Chess master trail
The route starts at the Town Hall Square, which is the oldest part of the town. Right there in a place where used to be previous Town Hall we can see a beautiful fountain dated 1912. The fountain is crowned with a sculpture of a little girl being attacked by a gander. Close to this place, on a base of an old Slavic settlement, stands a gothic church dated XIII century. There are also some fragments of defensive walls that were part of medieval fortifications and originally were 1700 metres long. Continuing our trip round the town of Barlinek we approach some interesting buildings dated XIX century when Barlinek became a popular resort. Many hotels, restaurants and guesthouses were built that time as well as a municipal swimming place at the lake called Jezioro Barlineckie. Right by this swimming place is a guesthouse “Pod Sosnami” which means “Under the Pines”. Both- the swimming place and the guesthouse- are very valuable relics of alpine architecture spa, hardly ever seen in western part of Poland. Continuing our walk along Strzelecka Street we pass “Pałacyk Cebulowy” which means „Onion Palace”- an interesting house dated 1908, with two turrets crowned with onion shaped cupolas. Passing Lasker’s Square we go to the place where used to be a railway station, unfortunately destroyed during WW II. We can see some pictures of the beautiful building of an old railway station at the Regional Museum of Barlinek. Next interesting spot on our trail is called Golgota and it is a place with panoramic view to the town and the lake and a place of Community Centre “Panorama” too. When we reach Chmielna Street we should notice a house No 7, where Emanuel Lasker- world’s chess master- was born and brought up. Continuing the walk towards the lake and passing Economic Secondary School we reach a promenade and the Chinese House where we can enjoy a lovely view to the lake and the forest. This way we go to the last attraction of the trail which is the house with Gutenberg’s monument that used to be a printing house and a bookshop and an editorial office of a local newspaper too. Nowadays this building holds the Regional Museum of Barlinek with some interesting exhibitions: one of them is dedicated to Emanuel Lasker, the other one to the town history and the last one to the professions that are nearly extincted.